Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cranberry Challah



I finally got the Whole Grain Cranberry Challah made today. I only made half the recipe. It seemed to me the dough was a little dry. Or maybe I should say drier than the usual no knead Master dough.

Since my husband isn't a big fan of whole wheat breads anyway, I used more AP unbleached flour than whole wheat (flipped it from the recipe). That could have been part of the reason for drier dough. Some flours need more or less water. I also, decided to throw in a half cup of chopped walnuts and leave off the orange in the topping.

I've never made a braided bread before so I opted for the simple 3 strand braid. Unbelievably, it was very simple and easy to do. Hooray for YouTube videos. The tips from the HBin5 also was good for the description even without a video.

It looks great and tastes good........although this really isn't a sweet bread. If you toast it, butter it and put a little honey or preserves for breakfast...YUM!

I think I might make a roll with a filling with the rest of the dough tomorrow or Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Boy you did a great job on the braiding. The loaf is so nice and even, mine tends to be bigger in the middle which is something I need to work on.

    Gorgeous loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I flipped the doughs as well! Your bread came out perfectly. A filling would be awesome, can't wait to see what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job...and your braid is beautiful!! I loved it toasted up with just some butter :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Looks like you got a great rise too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your braid looks like you've been doing this for years! Beautiful loaf. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to make with the rest of the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a beautiful braid. You're already a pro at this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! You did a wonderful job on this! How did I miss seeing this earlier?

    ReplyDelete